- 1 gallon water, or enough to cover carcass
- 1 Tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 turkey carcass
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
This stock makes a superb base to enhance your favorite savory winter soup!
- Remove all skin from turkey. Cut or break carcass into smaller pieces and place in a large stock pot. Add vegetables, seasonings and water.
- Place pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Strain stock, reserving liquid. Once solids have cooled to a manageable temperature, pick through and reserve any turkey meat that has fallen off the bones. See that no turkey meat remains on the carcass. Set meat aside for use in soup.
- Unused portions may be frozen for later use.